Game Design Zen : Episode 001
How much is enough? With Sid Meier defining games as a series of interesting and meaningful choices, we often stuff in as many choices as possible! In this episode we explore World of Warcraft and Rift, to show WHY the Paradox of Choice matters. We discuss how to design to avoid option paralysis, postponing decisions, and regret. We introduce flow, permanence, and practical tips we can apply today.
- The Paradox of Choice (01:00) – Sid Meier
- Psychology – Barry Schwartz (03:20)
- Why Do We Care (04:00) -Â Wow vs Rift
- Why Rift StruggledÂ (11:45)
- Impact of Paradox of ChoiceÂ (14:28)
- Option Paralysis
- Postpone Decisions
- Impact to Flow (17:30)
- Rule of Thumb : 3 (19:50)
- Zen Spot – Permanence (24:00)
- Opportunity Cost
- Limited Impact
Game Design Zen is the intersection of game design, life, and the pursuit of excellence. It is the #1 resource for all things Game Design including the science, art, and business of developing better games. There is always room to level up.